State Energy Assistance & Lifeline


*In addition, scroll to the bottom of this screen to see what documents you will need to provide.

Benefits are available to all eligible persons regardless of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, or political belief. These programs are open to Utah residents only.
Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) Program Utah Telephone Assistance (UTAP) Program--Lifeline Home Electric Lifeline
(HELP) Program
2012-2013 HEAT Income
Eligibility Table
2012 UTAP Income
Eligibility Table


Eligibility Table

Households that meet all of the following three points of eligibility are eligible for LIHEAP/HEAT benefits:

1. Total household income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level (see income chart above).

2. The household is "vulnerable," i.e. they are either directly or indirectly responsible for paying home energy costs. Indirectly means that a household pays rent, and part of that rent covers the cost of utilities.  To check if your apartment complex is considered vulnerable, check the Apartment Complexes Utility Eligibility Data Base

3. The household has at least one person who is a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien with acceptable United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents. 


There are two ways to qualify for Lifeline:

1. The total household income must be at or below 135% of the federal poverty level (see income chart on link above).


2. The client or someone living in his/her household receives benefits from one of the following programs:

  • SNAP (Food Stamps)
  • General Assistance
  • Head Start (income based qualification only)
  • Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT)/ Home Electric Lifeline Program (HELP)
  • Medicaid
  • National Free School Lunch Program (not reduced)
  • Public Housing Assistance
  • Refugee Assistance
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF)

This program is open to Rocky Mountain Power customers only.

To be eligible for HELP your income must be at or below 150% of the federal poverty level (see HEAT income chart).

You can apply for HELP at the same time you apply for HEAT.

To apply separately from the HEAT program, call 801-961-7286 or


*Documents you will need to bring to your appointment: 

  • Identification: Picture ID, Current Driver’s License, State ID, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration, Permanent Resident papers.
  • Social Security cards for yourself and EVERYONE living in your household.
  • A copy of your most recent and active utility bills from each utility supplier (gas/propane/wood/oil, electric).
  • Proof of ALL income received by all household members in the month prior to the month of your appointment, or in the month prior to the date the application is mailed or is completed by an outreach worker. 
  • Proof of medical expenses you paid in the month prior to the month of your appointment.
  • Proof of any child support and/or alimony you paid in the month prior to the month of your appointment.
  • Proof of disability.
  • Proof of a child in the home age five (5) and under (birth certificate, blessing certificate, etc.).
   Other documentation may be needed.