How to Access Your SNAP (Food Stamps) and What You Can Buy
When SNAP (Food Stamps) are Available
SNAP (Food Stamp) benefits are automatcially added to your SNAP (Food Stamp) EBT account if your application is approved.
For every month that you receve SNAP (Food Stamps) benefits, your benefits will be automatically deposited into your EBT account based on the first letter of your last name. Food Stamp benefits will be available on your assigned day even if it's a holiday or weekend.
|Last Name Starts With|
Buying Groceries - How to Use SNAP (EBT Card)
You can use your EBT card like a debit card at most stores that sell food.
- Once the cashier has totaled the cost of your groceries, you will pass your EBT card through a point-of-sale (POS) machine in the checkout line and enter your PIN.
- The cost of the items you buy will be subtracted from the amount in your SNAP (Food Stamp) EBT account.
- Sales tax cannot be on items bought with SNAP (Food Stamp) benefits.
Keep your receipt to show the amount of your purchase and the amount of money left in your EBT account and for your records in case there are questions or problems with your account.
What You Can Buy with SNAP (Food Stamps)
Households CAN us SNAP (Food Stamps) to buy unprepared food.
Food for the household to eat, such as:
- Breads and cereals
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meats, fish and poultry
- Dairy products
- Plants and seeds to grow food
What You Cannot Buy with SNAP (Food Stamps)
Hoseholds CANNOT use SNAP (Food Stamps) to buy:
- Prepared items (Hot foods and food that can be eaten in the store)
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
- Nonfood items:
- Vitamins and medicines
- Personal hygiene items such as shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics
Avoid SNAP (Food Stamp) Trafficking
Tranding or selling your SNAP (Food Stamps) or your card for cash, non eligible items, or services is known as "trafficking" and is illegal.
Selling or trading your SNAP (Food Stamps) or the EBT card could result in the loss of your benefits and criminal penalties,
- Do not sell or trade your EBT Card
- Do not purchase or trade ineglibile items using SNAP (Food Stamp) benefits.
- Do not trade sevices for SNAP (Food Stamp) benefits.
- Do not sell food items purchased with SNAP (Food Stamps).